Monday, May 27, 2019

Tools for managing a business while in dental school

When people learn that I started a business in dental school, they often wonder why. Thinking back to my first year, I knew I needed more. I was stressed. I had no outlet. I decided then that I needed to occupy my free time with things that I love. So, I bought a camera and a 35mm lens with some tax refund money from my gap year and started CM Photography LLC.

Fast forward to 2018 where I shot my first proposal, engagement, wedding and became a certified printmaker. I achieved my initial financial goal of grossing five-figures, and I’m so proud of myself to be able to say I did. But I couldn’t have done it without these four things.

1. Support systems. Dental school cannot be done alone. Owning your own business is the exact same. I would not be able to manage if I didn’t have my fiancĂ© Tanya to assist me during my shoots or to help me relax after a stressful day. A powerful support system is essential to having the creative energy to trudge through the proverbial “mud.” Sure, you could do it alone. Would I suggest that? Zero chance.

Finish reading this article in the May issue of Contour magazine.

~Christian Mullin, Maryland ’20, Chapter Class Co-Social Chair


Did you know that you could sign up to receive an email whenever the digital issue of Contour is available? Log in to your profile, select “My ASDA” and update your publications preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment